Monday, August 15, 2011

MEET PATTI MACIESZ, FIRST ARTIST AT STEEPLECHASE


Patti Maciesz will be Steeplechase Coffee Shop's first featured local artist in its Last Fridays series, which kicks off on Friday, August 26th, at 8:00 p.m. Patti has written a bit about herself to introduce her and her work to the neighborhood.
I'm originally from New York. I just moved into this neighborhood a few months ago after living in Paris for a few years. Since 2007, I've been working on a hybrid painting/photographic process. I'm also the co-founder of the art initiative Halfslant, which produces collaborative art installations in alternative spaces.

I recently got a studio in Sunset Park and dove back into my photo/painting work. Within a month, I began and completed the Paris Positives Project.
When Steeplechase Coffee Shop invited me to do their first show, I was really excited to show my new work, but I was also worried about the cost of printing and framing. I'm used to doing shows on the cheap, but I wanted to show my prints in the best way possible. I decided to start a Kickstarter Project to raise funds for the framing and printing and to let people pre-order prints.
I was shocked when I reached (and exceeded) my goal in less than a day. I'm using the additional funding to further push this project in new directions--printing on new materials and playing with different ways of displaying the images (outdoors, on objects, or even on clothes?!).

People can see all of the works on my Kickstarter page, learn about my process, and pre-order their prints there (at half-price!) before August 22nd. Afterward, the prints will be available for sale on my new Etsy shop--which will launch next week--and from me directly at the opening at Steeplechase

I love Steeplechase and am a regular there, so I'm really honored to be their first artist. I look forward to seeing the community's response to the work. I'm so grateful to everyone who supported me and made the show possible. I look forward to seeing everyone on the 26th!

Steeplechase Coffee Shop
3013 Fort Hamilton Parkway
between E. 2nd and E. 3rd streets
Windsor Terrace (one block from Kensington)
phone: (347) 799-2640
http://www.steeplechasecoffee.com 
contact online: http://www.steeplechasecoffee.com/?page_id=55

SUPPORT LOCAL, INDEPENDENT SMALL BUSINESSES.