Tuesday, May 31, 2016

WE'RE GOING TO LOSE JIM BRENNAN AS OUR STATE ASSEMBLYMEMBER

Assemblymember Jim Brennan working with neighbors
to beautify Kensington Plaza in its early days

In the following press release, our long-time Assemblymember Jim Brennan (44th Assembly District) announces that he won't be running for State Assembly again.

Jim has been wonderfully responsive to our neighborhoods' needs. We're sorry to lose this excellent, effective, and caring ally whose door is always open. Thank you, Jim, for your years of service. We wish you the best of luck.


------------------------------------------------

May 31, 2016
Dear Friends and Neighbors,

I am writing to let you know I will not be seeking re-election to the New York State Assembly after thirty-two years in office.

I am deeply grateful for the support you have shown me during this time and it has been an honor and an inspiration to be in public service. I am proud of all the good things my office and staff have done in collaboration with the thousands of wonderful people I have had the chance to represent. They include:
  • Saving ten community organizations, institutions, or major programs from collapse or closure over the years, sometimes more than once;
  • Helping thousands of individuals through our offices;
  • Leading the successful fight to downzone nearly every neighborhood in the district, to protect the community from predatory developers and preserve the quality of life through low and medium density zoning;
  • Designating millions to subway facilities, schools, parks, hospitals, and community service and housing programs;
  • Sponsoring forums, workshops, neighborhood resource and service fairs to help people and keep them informed.

In the State legislature, I am proud of what I accomplished:
  • I chaired four Committees;
  • There are 95 Brennan laws on the books of the State of New York;
  • I won three national awards for my legislative work, and,
  • I worked full-time with no outside compensation.

My office will remain open through December 31 to provide service, and once again, my deepest thanks for the chance to serve. I remain,

Your Proud Servant,   

Assemblymember Jim Brennan