The Muslim community of Kensington, Brooklyn, will hold a Peace and Unity Rally for Imam Maulama Alauddin Akonjee, and his associate, Thara Uddin. The Muslim community extends an invitation to all Kensington residents to attend, with the hope that this will be a rally for the whole neighborhood.
Scheduled for Sunday, August 21st, from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., the Peace and Unity Rally will take place at the Avenue C Plaza on McDonald Avenue, between Church Avenue and Avenue C.
Imam Maulama Akonjee, age 55, and Thara Uddin, age 64, were the victims of a shooting murder in Ozone Park, Queens. The two men were shot from behind near their mosque in broad daylight on Saturday, August 13th, at about 1:50 p.m. They had just come from afternoon prayers.
They were transported to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Jamaica, Queens, where they died. The suspect, Oscar Morel, has been charged with first-degree murder.
If you have any questions, contact
- John Schaefer (Councilmember Brad Lander's office) at jschaefer @ council.nyc.gov or (719) 447-5460,
- Mamnun Haq at (917) 856-6975,
- Mian Quadry at (917) 285-6951, or
- Dr. Jahangir Kabir at (917) 741-6782.
The sponsors of the Peace and Unity Rally are
- Bangladesh Muslim Center & Islamic School,
- Baitul Jannah Jame Masjid & Muslim Community Center,
- Darul Jannah Masjid & Islamic Center,
- Brooklyn Islamic Center,
- Darul ul Sunnah,
- Sandwip Association NA,
- Sandwip Society USA,
- Sandwip Educational & Cultural Society,
- Sandwip Education & Cultural Society,
- Greater Comilla Association,
- Chittagong Association of North America,
- The Greater Noakhali Society of USA, and
- NYC Council Member Brad Lander.