Jazz in the Garden
Sunday, October 17th, 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
A special memorial jazz concert for jazz bassist Bob Bowen will celebrate his life and music. Bob was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver while riding his bicycle in Manhattan at the end of August.
Bob taught music theory and directed jazz combos at the Queens College CSPM program (a program for junior and high school students) and the Manhattan School of Music Summer Jazz Workshop.
The concert will be held in the East Fourth Street Community Garden, between Fort Hamilton Parkway and Caton Avenue. The musicians who will pay tribute are
- 1:30 p.m.: SLOG: Brian Drye (trombone), Greg Joseph (drums), Bruce Williamson (woodwinds), and Khabu Young (guitars)
- 2:15p.m.: Ohad Talmor (tenor)
- 3:00 p.m.: Jacob Garchik & Ben Gerstein Duo (trombone)
- 3:45 p.m.: drummer Vincent Sperrazza's 40twenty with guests Jacob Sacks (keyboard) and Dave Ambrosio (bass)
- 4:30 p.m.: Roy Nathanson Conduction
"Since You've Been Here" written by Barbara Martin
and to appear on her new CD,
performed with Bob Bowen on bass and Hod O'Brien on piano
at Charlottesville Jazz Society event at Bel Rio Restaurant
in Charlottesville, VA January 19, 2010