Friday, March 8, 2013


Father James Cunningham, administrator of Holy Name of Jesus Church,
talks about the plans for restoring the church's interior.

At Mass on February 24th, Fr. James Cunningham, administrator of Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church, officially announced the beginning of the parish's fund raising drive for the Liturgical Restoration of the sanctuary area.

With the goal of raising $1,500,000, more than $600,000 had already been pledged by thirty donors in the week before that official announcement was made. By March 2nd, $675,000 had been raised. 

The project, known as "The Restoration of Holy Name of Jesus Church, 135 years – Fulfilling Our Vision," will see the installation of the traditional ornate marble side altar that James Renwick Jr. (1818-1895) designed for St. Patrick's Cathedral (constructed 1858-1879). 

In addition to St. Patrick's Cathedral, Renwick also designed the first of the Smithsonian Institution's buildings, Grace Church, St. Bartholomew's Church, St. Ann's and the Holy Trinity Church in Brooklyn Heights, the former Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, and the main building of Vassar College.

The altar Renwick designed was too large for St. Patrick's, so it was installed in St. Vincent de Paul Church in Williamsburg, where it remained until St. Vincent was sold toward the end of 2011. It and St. Vincent de Paul's two side altars and baptismal font will also become part of Holy Name.

Where to read more:

Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church
245 Prospect Park West, at Prospect Avenue
Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn 

Phone: (718) 768-3071
Fax: (718) 369-2039