Friends of Greenwood Playground will again be collecting items for Hurricane Sandy relief, this time at Cynthia King Dance Studio, 1256 Prospect Avenue, between Reeve Place and Greenwood Avenue.
The donated items will be delivered to Operation Sandy at St. Jacobi Lutheran Church. From there, they'll be given to hurricane victims in the Rockaways, Coney Island, Staten Island, and Red Hook.
Do not bring any coats, hat, scarves, gloves, shoes, boots, or other outerwear.
Volunteers at the collections sites are spending valuable time
trying to deal with items that are not needed.
- CLEANING SUPPLIES (the heavier-duty the better)
- white vinegar
- hydrogen peroxide
- disinfectant sprays and wipes (Fantastik, Clorox Wipes, Lysol, etc.)
- scrub brushes
- floor cleaner
- flashlights (the large ones are preferred)
- batteries (D-cells and C-cells; Costco currently has big packs of both on sale this week)
- contractor bags
- BABY AND PERSONAL HYGIENE
- formula (giant cans of Kirkland-brand powdered formula at Costco are $16)
- baby diapers (especially larger sizes (4, 5, 6))
- adult diapers (size L/XL)
- baby wipes
- Tylenol/Advil/aspirin/ibuprofen (adult and children's)
- First-Aid kits
- ACE bandages
- Cough/cold meds (adult and children's—folks are getting sick)
- canned goods (preferably pop-tops)
- can-openers (for the cans without pop-tops)
- anything ready-to-eat: boxed foods and snacks—cereal, granola bars, etc.
- baby food
- sugar substitutes
- SPECIALTY ITEMS (big-ticket)
- glucometers, glucose strips (for diabetics)